MS4 Storm Water Program
Download Flyer (pdf)
The City of New Castle submits an annual report to the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (PADEP) for the Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) Program as required by their National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) storm water permit. The purpose of the MS4 program is to reduce the discharge of pollutants to protect water quality of the water resources within the community.
The City has adopted the Act 167 Storm Water Management Ordinance that requires the review and approval of storm water management plans prior to the start of new development. The Lawrence County Conservation District reviews and enforces erosion and sedimentation pollution control for earthmoving activities and Post Construction Storm Water Management (PCSM) to protect the physical and biological integrity of the water resource.
As part of the annual report, the city is required to:
1. Distribute storm water related educational material to the public.
2. Conduct an annual public education meeting on the MS4 program.
3. Inspect the City’s permitted storm outfalls annually for non-stormwater wastes containing pollutants that are referred to as illicit discharges.
The public can help by:
1. Reporting anyone dumping waste into the storm sewer system to the City of New Castle Code Enforcement Department at 724.656.3539.
2. Cleanup pet waste and dispose of properly.
3. Use fertilizers properly to prevent excess runoff.
4. Properly store materials that could contaminate water resources.
For more information on Storm Water Management and MS4 Requirements, visit
the Pa DEP or EPA websites at the following links: